August 27, 2013

The Egyptian Museum

The Egyptian Museum
The French Egyptologist, Mariette Pasha, insisted on the construction of a big museum to house the Pharaonic works of art. Twenty years later, the French architect Marcel Dourgnon presented the plan of the Egyptian Museum building situated in the centre of Cairo. The museum was opened in 1902 and Gasto Maspero was appointed Director. The museum contains a big library and 100 exhibition rooms occupyng two floors. In the museum’s garden, there is a big bronze statue over the marble tomb of Auguste Mariette bearing his name and dates of birth and death (1821-1881). There is also a number of statue’s representing other famous Egyptologists. The most important collection of the museum is that of Tutank- hamun. There are other masterpieces dating from the Ancient Kingdom like the Statues of Cheops, Chepren and Mycerinus. There is also the collection of Thut- mose III, Alhnatoun and a number of statues of Ramses II.

Prince Rahotep and his wife Nofret

Prince Rahotep and his wife Nofret
The main entrance to the Egyptian Museum
Two statues on either side of the gate represent the symbols of the North and the South of Ancient Egypt. One is holding the lotus and the other the papyrus.

Prince Rahotep and his wife Nofret

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, If you found any copyright content in Ancient Egypt blog please don't hesitant to send an email : ancientegyptblog@gmail.com and will delete within 24 Hours

ShareThis

Follow us

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...